LOS ANGELES, CA — The nonprofit Our Vision Caribbean and Latino Film Festival announced today that the non-profit organization, Barbados Association of Southern California (BASC), will receive a special award for their community involvement and cultural programs, during the closing ceremony of the 2024 Festival.
The 2024 Festival will take place January 13, 2024, in person in at California State University, Dominguez Hills, and the virtual Festival will take place January 14 – February 14, 2024 via Filmocracy and Hoopla BingePass. Ticket sales begin on January 2, 2024.
BASC is the premier organization representing the Barbadian community in Southern California. A group of concerned Barbadians led by Sandra Cutting, June Small Lashley and Gregory Chase got together to create an association that fairly represents their interest in this part of the Diaspora, and out of that meeting the Association was formed.
BASC is committed to the preservation of the Caribbean culture, especially Barbadian culture and for the past years BASC Ensemble has showcased their talents in cultural presentations especially at the annual “A Taste of Barbados” event held in November.
The mission of the BASC is to:
• Mobilize resources and help the disadvantage, both in our community and to Barbados, with a focus on youth, seniors and persons with disabilities.
• Develop, promote and preserve for posterity the rich cultural heritage of Barbados and the Caribbean, through various cultural programs.
• To assist the educational needs of our communities locally and in Barbados through the provision of supplies, equipment, training and cultural exchanges.
• Recognize the contributions made by Barbadians and others.
• Promote unity and cooperation among its members.
# # #
The Our Vision Caribbean and Latino Film Festival is a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a space for Caribbean and Latino filmmakers to tell their stories and share their work. To support the work of the festival and promote Caribbean and Latino Filmmakers please visit our-vision.org to contact the festival and offer your support.